On the day of your driving test in addition to the actual driving you will also be asked two questions about the car the “show me, tell me” questions. The first one before you start driving. The second question will be while you are driving that you will need to demonstrate. I have listed the full list of show me tell me questions and also have videos demonstrating them on this page.
Driving Test Show Me Tell Me Questions
Questions During Driving Test
- Tell me how you would check your brakes are working okay on your car?
Explain that after pulling away you could test them. They should be nice and firm and stop the car. If they felt slack, spongy, pull to one side, or make noises then there is maybe a problem with your brakes.
- Tell me where you find information about what pressure your car tyres should be? How would you check the current pressure of them?
You would find the information in the car manual. Using a tyre pressure gauge you could check the current pressure of your tyres. Best done when cold.
3. Tell me where you would find information about your tyre pressures and how you could check what pressure your tyres are currently at?
You would find information in the vehicle handbook. You would check what pressure your tyres are at using a pressure gauge.
4. Tell me how you would check that your head restraint was adjusted correctly?
Adjust the head restraint so that the centre lines up with the centre of your head, the middle should be in line with your eyes and ears.
5. Tell me how you would check that your tyres are safe to use on the road?
You would inspect the tyres to check there were no cuts or bulges and had a tread depth of at least 1.6mm across the central ¾ around the full circumference of the tyre. To check your current tread depth you would use a special depth gauge tool available to buy from garages.
6. Tell me how you would check your headlights and tail-lights were working.
Explain that you would put the ignition on and then switch the lights on, then walk around the vehicle to check that each bulb was functioning.
7. Tell me how you would know if there was a problem with your anti-lock braking system?
Warning light saying ‘ABS’ would flash on your dashboard.
8. Tell me how you would check all the indicators on your car are working?
Explain you could put your hazard warning lights on and then walk around the car to check that they are all working.
9. Tell me how you could check your brake lights are working okay?
Explain if you are on your own, you would park in front of a reflective surface (Like a window or a garage door) and use the refections to check them. If you have someone with you, you would get them to stand behind the car and check.
10. Tell me how you would check that your power steering is in okay working order?
Explain once the car engine is started (only works once the engine is on) you would give the steering wheel a wiggle and it should be light and easy to move at that point. If it felt heavy or stiff then there might be a problem with your power steering.
11. Tell me how you would put the rear fog light on and explain when you would use them?
Explain that once you had your car lights on you would press the fog light button to activate. You would use your fog lights when visibility is less than 100m. When active a symbol shows on the dashboard.
12. Tell me how you would change your lights from the dipped beam to the main beam?
Explain that once your lights on you would push the lever on the left away from you activating the main beam. A blue light will show on the dashboard. You would use this when dark on an unlit road when nobody is in front of you or coming towards you.
1. Open the car bonnet and explain how you would check the oil level?
Identify the oil dipstick, explain that to check the oil level, you would remove it, wipe it then redip and check reading. The level should fall between the minimum and maximum level.
2. Open the car bonnet and identify the engine coolant, explain how you would check its level?
Identify the coolant reservoir (usually pink liquid, the coolant is coloured) The level should fall between the minimum and maximum level which are on the outside of the container.
3. Open the bonnet and identify the brake fluid, explain how you know it is at the correct level?
Identify the reservoiur, and explain that the level should fall between the minimum and maximum markers found on the outside of the container.
1. Demonstrate how to sound your horn?
Press the centre of the steering wheel to sound the car horn.
2. Demonstrate opening your car window?
Locate the button and press it to lower
3. Demonstrate putting the car lights on to dipped beam?
Locate the button and activate the dipped beam
4. Demonstrate how to clean the front windscreen with washers?
Pull the lever on the right towards you and hold until the water sprays on the front windscreen.
5. Demonstrate how to clean the rear window with washers?
Push the lever on the right away from you and hold until the water sprays on the rear window, you will see it in your interior mirror.
6. Demonstrate how to activate the rear window demister?
Locate the rear demister button and press it to activate
7. Demonstrate how to demist the front windscreen?
Locate the front demister button and activate it. If your car doesn’t have a button to demist the front window you want to blow hot air at the front windscreen with he fan on maximum.
How The Show Me Tell Me Questions Work On The Day
Don’t worry too much about these questions, if you have made sure that you are comfortable with them before the day of your driving test then you will have no problem at all. Your driving instructor will run through them with you before and if you are unsure about anything make sure you get your driving instructor to fully explain. If you were to forget and get the question wrong during the driving test you wouldn’t fail, you would pick up 1 driving fault.
The Show Me Questions
You will be asked one of these 7 questions while out on the road. The examiner will usually say “when safe to do so can you show me how you would …” The driving examiner will choose a suitable place to ask you, so not while you are just entering a spiral roundabout! If you are in the middle of doing something such as you are about to change gear, or something ahead on the road is happening you can deal with that before focusing on how to open your window or whatever you have been asked.
Don’t Let The Car Wander
If what you have been asked to demonstrate involves you looking away from the road, for example looking down to locate the button for the rear demister. It would be an idea to aim the car before you glance down to locate the button. After locating it would be a great idea to aim the car again before pressing the button or twisting it. Over the years I have had a few people getting marked down or even failing their driving tests because as a result of them looking down for too long there steering hasn’t been correct and they have lost their position. Your driving instructor will usually practice the show me tell me questions with you anyway so on the day you are well-rehearsed.
To find out what to expect on the day of the driving test have a look at some of the test route videos I have made, they will give you an idea of what to expect on the day.
Tell Me Questions
Show Me Questions